Miss Minnesota Travels

Get the full scoop on Nicole Swanson's appearances, travels, and experiences as Miss Minnesota 2006.

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Up North

My older siblings live in southern California, where the sky is perpetually blue and temperatures rarely drop below 50. They can gloat all they want in mid-January, when we Minnesotans battle below-zero weather and windchill temperatures so low schools across the state are required to close.

But they don't have fall.

Not like this, at least...


Autumn's glory, displayed prominently in Duluth

As previously mentioned, the Duluth-Superior Symphony Orchestra performed their season-opening concert this weekend. The 75th-anniversary season, nonetheless! Copland's John Henry, Brahms' Double Concerto, and Symphony No. 13 ("The Organ Symphony") by Saint-Saens comprised the program.

Viola section of the Duluth-Superior Symphony Orchestra

I was also able to spend some time with Angie McDermott, Miss Austin, who attends the University of Minnesota-Duluth. I've been to Duluth quite a few times throughout my life (my dad grew up there and my Grandpa and Uncle Dan still live there), but she showed me some places I'd never been - including a fabulous ice cream shop with a view of the lake. (And by "the lake", I mean "Lake Superior" - largest freshwater lake in the world!)

Self-portrait (or should I call it a selves-portrait?) with Angie

I'll be back in Duluth mid-October. Hopefully the hills will still (bill gill fill mill... sorry, couldn't resist!) be ablaze three weeks from now. I'll be sure to take plenty of photos so you Californians can experience autumn vicariously!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home