Miss Minnesota Travels

Get the full scoop on Nicole Swanson's appearances, travels, and experiences as Miss Minnesota 2006.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Music is Instrumental in Winona

I returned today from a 4-day residency in Winona. On Monday and Tuesday, I visited all 6 elementary schools; Wednesday I was at the middle school; today was a full day at Winona High School. Winona has a great music program in place: 4th-graders have the option to start a stringed instrument, and there are several musical groups throughout the district.

When I visit elementary schools, my goal is to expose the students to the wide variety of instruments that exist - many have never heard of a bassoon or an oboe... and most don't know the difference between a violin and a viola. I also work their creativity and observational skills by playing a variety of music and asking for adjectives to describe that music.




Some observations:
-Kindergarteners haven't quite grasped the difference between a question and a statement. During Q&A time, I had many raised hands that resulted in statements of "My dad plays the trumpet" or "I have a new baby brother."
-To the youngest students, I was "Miss Winona"; the 2nd- and 3rd-graders got the title correct; and the oldest elementary students referred to me as "Miss America". I'm not a child psychologist, but it must have something to do with how they perceive their world at certain stages of mental & emotional development...

My day at Winona Middle School was spent entirely in the music wing. They have a beautiful, recently-built facility with separate rooms for band, choir, orchestra, and general music - all adjacent to the auditorium, which we used for the majority of the presentations. With these students, I discussed decision-making, how to make practicing fun, and how to tell stories with music.



Today, at Winona Senior High School, my activities varied. I presented to several music classes, joined the viola section for an orchestra rehearsal, played Revolutionary War Jeopardy with an American History class, and discussed the connection between music and foreign language in a Spanish class.

Thanks first and foremost to Mayor Jerry Miller, who made my visit to Winona possible. Other MVPs of the week include Vicki Andring in the district office, the principals at all 8 schools, and every music teacher with whom I worked. Keep up the great work!

P.S. Yes, I voted. Three cheers for absentee ballots :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home