Miss Minnesota Travels

Get the full scoop on Nicole Swanson's appearances, travels, and experiences as Miss Minnesota 2006.

Monday, October 30, 2006

Austin (but not the Texan variety)

I spent a busy day in Austin! The Austin Symphony performed children's concerts this morning, and I was the narrator (for excerpts from Bizet's Carmen) and featured speaker/performer. Over the lunch hour, I spoke at the Austin Rotary Club and shared my Music is Instrumental message. I met the grandfather of Karyn Stordahl (Miss MN '05), who is a member of the Rotary! I was then whisked away to speak with the Middle School and High School music students. We discussed practicing, goal-setting, and stretching (instrumentalists need to treat their bodies with the same care as athletes do in order to prevent injuries).

with Terry Leas (Rotary President) and my special-edition SPAM
(Hormel Foods was founded and is based in Austin)

at Austin Middle School with the 9th-grade orchestra

Thanks to Steve Ramsey (conductor of the Austin Symphony), Marge Dunlap (Orchestra Manager), the music teachers at Austin High School and Middle School, and my hosts Jeff and Sonia Larson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home