Miss Minnesota Travels

Get the full scoop on Nicole Swanson's appearances, travels, and experiences as Miss Minnesota 2006.

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Two Weeks in a Nutshell

These past two weeks have been rather full; unfortunately, I have very few pictures from these events! I'll give you a brief synopsis of what I've been doing...

11/26 - Miss MN USA Pageant
Congratulations to Alla Ilushka (Miss MN USA) and Vanessa Vonbehren (Miss Teen MN USA)! This was my first time attending a USA pageant, and I enjoyed my role as an unbiased observer. The show opener was a live performance of the Evolution of Dance - one of YouTube's top videos of the year!
11/29 - Stillwater Schools
I visited with students at four schools in the Stillwater Area Public School District - Stillwater Senior High, Stillwater Junior High, and Oak Park and Lily Lake Elementary schools. Marla Okner, one of my sister's former violin teachers, was my host for the day.
11/30 - Twin Cities Media Network Fashion Show
For their winter fundraising event, the Twin Cities Media Network hosted a fashion show, and I was a celebrity model. I also performed my Miss MN Talent selection ("Praeludium & Allegro" by Fritz Kreisler) and met several Twin Cities media personalities, including Alison Young from MPR.
12/2 - Mankato Area Youth Symphony
At the MNSOTA workshop in October, I ran into Amy Roisum-Foley, a former band director at my junior high school in Lakeville. She now works at Minnesota State University-Mankato and as the director of the Mankato Area Youth Symphony. This afternoon was MAYSO's winter concert, and I performed (first and second movements of the Telemann Viola Concerto), spoke, signed autographs, took pictures, and played Christmas carols with the group.
12/3 - Isabella Collections Winter Open House
You remember Isabella's. The fantastic dress? This evening marked their first annual Winter Open House. I performed, answered questions, and enjoyed the great company and hors d'oeuvres. Many thanks to Robyn & Jeannie for all their support over the past few months!
12/4 - Interview with Star Tribune
I had a two-hour conversation this afternoon with Kay Miller of the Star Tribune. She writes for the Source section and will be publishing an article at some point right before Miss America! She had traveled with the Minnesota Orchestra on a European tour, and her stories of that adventure were amazing.
12/5 - Coon Rapids High School
I met with both orchestras at Coon Rapids High School this morning.They're preparing for their winter concert, and I was able to give them a little advice on preparation and avoiding performance anxiety!
12/7 - Schubert Club Holiday Luncheon/MPR Testimonial
The Schubert Club has been fantastically supportive of me not only as Miss Minnesota, but throughout all of my musical adventures over the years. I performed today at their Holiday Luncheon - "Carol" and "Christmas Dance" from Vaughan Williams' Suite for Viola and Orchestra. (Er... piano, in this case. I wish I could carry a portable orchestra around in my pocket.)
Then I recorded a testimonial at MPR... essentially a "Hi, I'm Nicole Swanson, Miss Minnesota... and I'm a member of Minnesota Public Radio." It was a little more personal than that... but you'll just have to listen (find your station here) and hear for yourself!
12/9 - MYS String Orchestra Holiday Concert
One of the best things about being Miss Minnesota for me is the opportunity to partner with organizations that have been an integral part of my life. Minnesota Youth Symphonies is definitely one of them. This afternoon, the String orchestra performed a holiday concert at Dayton's Bluffs Recreation Center, and I joined them as soloist, speaker, and viola section substitute.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home