Miss Minnesota Travels

Get the full scoop on Nicole Swanson's appearances, travels, and experiences as Miss Minnesota 2006.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Music is Instrumental in Sartell

Where? Sartell. Home of the Sabres... and some pretty fantastic people. Stacey Fristad of the Sartell Music Association arranged for my visit, and the 3 days passed in a flurry!

Monday, December 11:
I visited both elementary schools (Pine Meadow and Oak Ridge), with two assemblies at each. Both are utilizing the Character Counts! curriculum, so I was able to weave Respect, Responsibility, and Caring into my presentations. I was truly impressed by the feeling of community within these schools, and the respect and admiration the students obviously felt towards their peers, teachers, and principals.

an interactive activity - conducting Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star

Mrs. Peach's first-graders

Monday evening, the Chamber of Commerce hosted a reception at the Meeting Grounds coffeehouse, where I performed and signed autographs.


Tuesday, December 12th:
Sartell Middle School! My favorite part of this day was spending two class periods with Special Education students. Their teacher, Dorie Hall, uses music and music-making often in her own teaching, and she was excited to have me speak with her students. We had a very open conversation, not only about music but also about overcoming challenges, discovering your strengths, and persevering towards goals.
I also presented to the entire 5th-grade class and worked with various Band and General Music classes and spoke with the Dance Team about poise and performance preparation.



Tuesday night was the Winter Winds concert at Sartell High School. I performed two selections: the Prelude from J.S. Bach's 5th Suite and Fritz Kreisler's Praeludium & Allegro. At the reception afterwards, I signed autographs and answered questions. According to the Sartell Music Association, turnout was the highest it had ever been, with a large number of elementary and middle school students attending who had met me earlier.


with the Sartell Music Association - the people who make it all happen!

Wednesday, December 13th
Today I visited with all the music students at Sartell High School. One of my favorite moments was with Donna Voce, the all-women's choir. They are preparing a piece for their concert that includes two violin parts - so I sight-read and transposed onto my viola. It worked, mostly. It was also nice to have a bit of girl time. I was in an all-female choir my sophomore year of high school, and I look back on that year with fondness.




Many many many thanks to Stacey Fristad for making this residency possible - and for being such a great host mom! To everyone that I met and all the students with whom I worked... always remember two things:
1. Practice makes permanent
2. Tell stories with your music!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home