Miss Minnesota Travels

Get the full scoop on Nicole Swanson's appearances, travels, and experiences as Miss Minnesota 2006.

Monday, June 04, 2007

South to North

This week took me from southern Minnesota to the northern part of the state!

5/18 - The Miss South Central committee, chaired by Luke and Rochelle Odenbrecht, hosted a handing-off party at their home in Waseca. The Miss Waseca Sleigh & Cutter committee has taken over the South Central title and will be holding a dual pageant at the end of July. Jennifer Burt and Christy Stewart are excited to be taking on the new responsibilities and will be fantastic directors for two lucky girls. Pictured below is their current titleholder - Miss Waseca County Sleigh & Cutter, Liz Wandersee!
Thanks to Luke & Rochelle and everyone on the new and old South Central and Waseca committees - it was a pleasure to entertain you for the evening :)



5/20 - I performed the National Anthem to kick off the Minnesota AIDS Walk. As participants registered and tried to keep warm in the morning (it was the chilliest day we've had in awhile!), I walked around with volunteers, taking pictures with guests... and a few mascots, as you can see below. Thank you to everyone who participated in this event as a walker or a sponsor - it was a privilege to be a part of it!



Goldy Gopher!

with John Hines and Lee Valsvik, the morning hosts

Target's Bullseye mascot - he was warm!!!

5/23 - I spent the day in Kasson-Mantorville, neighboring towns with a unified school district. In the morning, I visited with 5th-graders at the middle school. After a delicious lunch at the historic Hubbel House, I rehearsed with the Senior High band and string players, then spoke to and performed for the 7th & 8th-graders (along with a few of the high school classes). That evening, the bands held their year-end concert, which they entitled "Music is Instrumental". The photo below is from a newspaper article about the concert.


Thanks to Nathan Davidson, the middle school band director, who did a fantastic job of organizing the day and all the people involved in it! Eileen Van Driest and Paula Knoll had both visited with his students during their years as Miss Minnesota... so our next titleholder with a music platform will definitely be welcomed in Kasson-Mantorville!


5/26 - My parents and I drove up to Duluth to visit my grandpa. He's recovering from an injury, so he's currently living in a physical rehabilitation center. While we were there, one of the nurses said, "Wait, are you... are you Miss Minnesota? I've heard all about you!" She asked for my autograph and said it made her day. I've told people that one of the best parts about this job is making people smile, and I'm so glad I could do that at a time when I wasn't even looking glamorous or wearing my crown :)

I think it's finally starting to hit me that someone else will soon be filling this amazing role... To all the contestants gearing up for Miss Minnesota (or any other state title, for that matter) - give it your all! You are about to embark on an amazing journey, and I am so excited for each and every one of you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home